Dates are considered one of the superfoods. And while superfoods don’t actually give you the ability to shoot lasers out of your eyes, they do provide the most bang for your buck when actively pursuing a healthy diet. Dates are high in carbs and provide immediate energy and are very low in fat. They have around 15 minerals and 6 vitamins and have very high amounts of fibre. So lets take a quick dive into the nutritious World of dates to learn more.
Phoenix dactylifera, commonly known as date or date palm, is a flowering plant species in the palm family, Arecaceae, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. Research has shown that date palm tree has existed for at least 50 million years! Dates come in large number of varieties but one of the most popular ones is Medjool. Medjool dates are larger, softer and sweeter than most other dates. Medjool dates are most commonly grown in Morocco, Palestine, United States, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Jordan, and Pakistan. Or you can buy them at your local grocery store. Your call.
Medjool Dates Nutritional Value
A single Medjool date has 66 calories, 17.99g of carbs, 15.95g of sugar and zero tran fats. One serving of Medjool date (around 100g – approximately 9-10 dates) contains:
|Nutritional Facts||Amount||Daily Recommended Value|
Benefits of Dates
1. Popeye’s Spinach!
Yes like Popeye’s renowned Spinach, Date is a Natural Energy Booster. Since dates are high in natural sugars like fructose, glucose and sucrose, they are easily processed and utilized by the body for immediate energy. Imagine that! A superfood that’s sweet like candy AND can give you the ability to shoot lasers out of your eyes. Oh right, I keep forgetting it doesn’t do that. Moving on.
They are an excellent healthy choice for snack when you are looking for immediate energy. So next time when you are suffering from an afternoon slump, instead of another cup of coffee or some candy, try going for a few Medjool dates.
2. Cholesterol Reduction
Recent research has found that Medjool dates, along with a variety of other dates, “inhibited LDL oxidation, and most extracts also stimulated cholesterol removal from macrophages.” What does this mean, huh! Well what this means is when you eat them, you are increasing insoluble as well as soluble fiber intake which can reduce your cholesterol naturally. Still lost? It only reduces LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol which is a major contributing factor to heart attacks and strokes. It feels like you’re still not getting it. Let’s try this. Dates, Good! LDL, Bad!
3. Constipation Destroyer
Well yes, we are being a little dramatic but it can help you relieve constipation. In fact, did you hear about the new movie ‘Constipation’? Well that’s because it hasn’t come out yet.
Constipation and IBS are two very common problems in the modern World. The high fiber content of Medjool dates make them an excellent choice to keep bowel movements regular by adding bulk to stool and helping it move faster through the intestines. So next time you’re looking for a natural constipation relief remedy, try having a few Medjool dates. Just maybe don’t try them while you’re ON a date!
4. Heart Tonic
We already mentioned earlier that they reduce the bad kind of cholesterol aka LDL but that’s just one of the magical powers of date fruit when it comes to keeping your heart healthy. Research has proved that Medjool dates are very good antioxidants and that just consuming 100 grams daily of either Medjool or Hallawi dates for just four weeks results in reduction of blood triglyceride levels by 8 percent! Triglycerides are a type of fat (lipid) found in your blood and not a tiny three-horned dinosaur that lives in your veins. A high level of triglycerides can increase your risk of heart disease so it’s important to keep your triglycerides at a normal level.
5. Boost Bone Health
Like any great dynamic duo, Phosphorus and Calcium work together in maintaining bone and teeth health and guess which superfood is high in both nutrients? Did you just guess chlorella? No, silly. It’s dates! Let’s not forget that bones and teeth account for 85% of the phosphorus in the body, though the other 15% is probably important too and Calcium is known to help prevent Osteoporosis. Medjool dates are again the superstars when it comes to strengthening bones and fighting off painful and debilitating bone diseases like Osteoporosis.
6. Treat Anemia
Dates are also rich in Iron. Just 100 grams of Medjool dates have almost around 1mg Iron. So dates is something you should definitely include as a part of healthy diet if your iron levels are low. If your iron levels are too high, stay away from magnets.
Now we know some of you will still say but I don’t like dates…well for you Hidden Pearls does dozens of types of chocolate medjool dates. Click here for more info. And after this shameless plug, we wish you a lovely delicious time with your dates!